Case Story : The moment when we guessed that he was leaving the world

Jahangir died on 6th September 2008 who was seriously injured 26 days ago in a ship breaking yard while he was working in the yard.

Jahangir Alam (28), father: Late Azizul Gaosh, mother: Begum Nurjahan, village: Madham Sonaichari, Union-Sonaichari, post Office: Shitalpur, Upazila: Sitakund, district-Chittagong seriously injured on 12th August, 2008 when a heavy iron plate of ship strike him. He was a cutter man of Ziri Subedar Ship breaking yard. He was in treatment in last days. Doctors has already left the hope to save his life in last few days ago.

According the witness and himself, they were working in the shipyard under a ship. It has been raining at that time since the early morning. On the early night, a cutter man stopped his work while he cut a piece of iron plate of ship but the work was not fully completed, the part of the cutting ship attached the ship very little. While it was raining heavily the half broken piece of ship fell down from ship and hit three men including Jahangir. Another two workers were Helal (17) and Nayan (14) who were helper of Jahangir.

Yard authority immediately sent them into the Chittagong Medical College Hospital. Helal and Nayan injured in head, leg and hand. Helal and Nayan were released from CMCH very next day of the accident because their injuries were not fatal.

But the condition of Jahangir was very bad. He injured seriously in his neck and the middle to last part of the body. He was a senseless about 2 days. He was seriously injured in his head, his joining part of neck dispatched and bone of chest completely broken. He was transferred into Holy Crescent Hospital from CMCH. After the two days treatment, he was transferred into Apollo Hospital, Dhaka for higher treatment. He was there for few days. But doctors could not give any hope for his survival.

Because of high cost for his treatment in Apollo hospital yard, the yard owner and his relatives again admitted Jahangir in Holy Crescent Hospital, Chittagong. He was in Intensive Care Unit with the help of life support inhaler for several days. Doctors decided that they will check him 15 days and then they will arrange a medical board for him. But he passes away on the 7th day.

Jahangir was a person who always want to help helpless people. He always gave company for his friend Nizam, a paralyzed shipbreaking worker. He has a lot of friend for his friendliness behavior and politeness. He only earning person of his family. His elder brother had broken his leg when he was an accident but although it is difficult he is now taxi driver with the support of an organization. His immediate younger brother who was working in a shipyard also paralyzed by an accident in shipyard. His family already completely destroyed for the present situation of Jahangir. They are looking for the Almighty Allah for his survive.